Our homes are busy places, and they seem to run on a constant flow of hot water. You know the drill, everyone’s trying to get ready to face the day and suddenly the water from the tap is running cold – bringing everything to a crashing halt. Your hot water heater is an important implement in your home, and you want to make sure that you have one that suits your household’s needs. You’ve probably heard about tankless water heaters but may not know much about them. These tankless heaters can be a great option, and an experienced St Cloud plumber can help you determine if a tankless water heater is a good fit for you and your family.
Traditional Water Heaters vs. Tankless
The traditional water heaters that are found in most homes employ large tanks that store hot water at the ready. This is true whether your home is up and running at full tilt or has been left empty for the weekend (with absolutely no need for hot water). Tankless water heaters do not store hot water but, instead, heat water instantly – as it’s being used. In other words, tankless water heaters only heat the exact amount of water that you use in your home – whether you’re entertaining houseguests or out of town.
Where Does the Hot Water Come From?
When you need hot water for your shower, tub, kitchen sink, washing machine – or anything else – opening the hot water tap (or line) triggers the tankless water heater to power on. Whether it’s powered by gas or electricity, the water heater’s element heats water that flows through it on contact. By so doing, you get exactly the amount of hot water that you want exactly when you want it. The only time delay is the amount of time it takes the water to flow from the heater to the faucet that you’re using.
When you aren’t using any hot water, the tankless unit powers off. There is no energy wasted in heating water that’s going to be stored rather than used (as with traditional water heaters).
My Family Is Always on the Go;
Will a Tankless Heater Work for Us?
When it comes to hot water, different households definitely have different needs. A tankless water heater may or may not be a good choice for your unique needs, but an experienced St. Cloud heating and plumbing services company will expertly guide you through the decision making process. There are several important factors to consider:
- Tankless water heaters are limited in how much water they can heat per minute. If your family is large and burns through huge amounts of hot water, a tankless heater may not be your best choice. Some homes even use a combination of water heaters.
- Tankless water heaters are considerably more expensive than traditional models. While you’ll save in energy bills over time, your initial investment will be higher.
- Tankless water heaters are susceptible to freezing temperatures and can leak if they’re exposed. Your skilled St. Cloud plumber will help you explore whether this is an issue you need to consider.
While tankless water heaters have a lot to recommend them, they are not the best fit for every home and every family. Consult with an experienced St. Cloud heating and plumbing service provider to ensure that your family stays in hot water.
Why is Tankless a Good Choice?
Tankless water heaters have some obvious attributes – they instantly heat only the amount of water that you use, so they’re environmentally friendly and don’t ding your power bill the way traditional water heaters do. Further, you get hot water exactly when you want it – no more scheduling showers around the availability of hot water. These are some obvious pros when it comes to tankless water heaters, but there are additional positive considerations:
- Tankless water heaters are built from parts that are replaceable, which means that – with proper professional maintenance – these heaters can last far longer than traditional models do. Further, tankless heaters are almost 100 percent recyclable, so when it is time to replace your heater, it won’t go into a landfill. In other words, tankless heaters are the environmentally friendly choice.
- Tankless water heaters have a much lower profile than do traditional models and, therefore, take up less valuable property in your home. These tankless heaters can even hang on walls, which means you won’t have to give up any floor space.
- Tankless heaters – unlike traditional water heaters – aren’t susceptible to leaks caused by corrosion.
- While water heaters that employ tanks are susceptible to mineral buildup over time that renders them less efficient, tankless units are not. The minerals in hardwater aren’t as difficult for tankless heaters to handle.
Taking the Plunge
If you’re ready to purchase a new hot water heater and you’re considering a tankless model, it’s time to consult with a professional St. Cloud plumber who has considerable experience installing, maintaining, and repairing these units. Tankless heaters are environmentally friendly, are less expensive to run over time, and provide you with immediately accessible hot water at the turn of a faucet. It’s important to remember, however, that tankless units aren’t the best choice for every household. Your experienced plumber will help you explore your options and make the best choice for you.
Considering a Tankless Water Heater?Consult with a St. Cloud Plumber Today!
We tend not to think about hot water until we suddenly don’t have enough. Your household runs on hot water, and if your water heater is on the fritz, there’s no time to lose. At Neighborhood Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, and Electrical, we have the experience, skill, knowledge, and commitment to customer service to ensure that you get the professionally installed water heater that’s right for you. In fact, we’ve been in the business for over 60 years, and we’re here to help. Please contact or call us to schedule an appointment today. If you have a plumbing emergency – never fear – we’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.