Spring has finally sprung, and it’s the one time of year that you’re likely to use both your heating and cooling system. With this in mind, we offer several tips for keeping your utility bill manageable, your home or office comfortable, and your heating and cooling system in tiptop shape. Finally, spring is a good time for scheduling regular maintenance with an experienced Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, heating and cooling specialist.
Before you really get going with cooling your home through the dog days of summer, spring provides you with the opportunity to schedule maintenance for your system with a heating and cooling professional. The benefits of maintenance are many fold:
- Improves the performance of your heating and cooling system
- Provides you with the peace of mind that comes from knowing your system will keep you comfortable throughout the seasons to come while helping to keep your energy bills manageable
- Troubleshoots your system so you won’t run into surprise problems when it comes time to consistently cool your home or office
- Extends the life of your unit and helps ensure that it will need fewer repairs over time
- Improves the quality of your indoor air
The benefits of regular maintenance for your heating and cooling system are difficult to overstate. Schedule an appointment with a reputable Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, heating and cooling professional today.
Setting Your Thermostat
As spring takes hold, it’s the perfect time to reset your programmable thermostat schedule for cooling rather than for heating. If you haven’t installed a programmable thermostat yet, now is the time to consult with your heating and cooling specialist (during that maintenance visit). A programmable thermostat will save you money in the long run and will help keep your home or office comfortable throughout the coming months.
When you limit the difference between the temperature indoors and outdoors, you save more on your utility bills. When it comes to saving energy, 78 degrees is the gold standard for setting your cooling temp. When you and your family will be away from home, you can program your system to an energy-saving higher setting that returns to a comfortable temperature before you return – a win/win.
Saving on Your Energy Bills This Spring
Spring is here, and it helps lift everyone’s mood. There are several ways that you can also put a bit of bounce into your heating and cooling system by helping it operate more efficiently:
- Allow the cool outdoor temperatures indoors by opening your windows and giving your system a break overnight. Don’t forget to close up again in the morning before your cooling system kicks back into gear.
- Use your curtains and blinds to your advantage by closing them against the heat of the beating sun during the day. You’ll give your air conditioner a break while helping to keep things nice and comfortable in your home.
- Set your ceiling fans to turn counter-clockwise during the warmer months – this amplifies the cooling effect of your air conditioner without needing to decrease the temperature setting. Conserve energy further by turning off your fans when no one’s in the room.
- Reduce the heat load in your home by grilling out on a regular basis, using natural light whenever possible (instead of cranking on all those heat-producing light fixtures), switching your bulbs out for newer high-efficiency, low-heat bulbs, maximizing your hot water usage by making sure you wash full loads of laundry and dishes, and limiting your time in the shower (comfort bonus – too much hot water can be drying on your skin).
- Use the exhaust fans in your bathrooms and kitchen – they help remove additional heat generated by hot water and by major appliances. Again, this will save your cooling unit from having to work so hard.
- Change your heating and cooling unit’s air filter according to manufacturer recommendations – your Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, heating and cooling specialist can walk you through the process if you’re unsure. Keeping your filter clean allows air to flow more freely through your system, which cuts down on energy usage while maximizing comfort levels.
Following these simple tips will help ensure you make the most of your cooling system throughout the warmer months to come.
Prepare for Spring by Scheduling Maintenance with an Experienced Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, Heating and Plumbing Specialist Today
The dedicated plumbing professionals at Neighborhood Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, and Electrical in Sauk Rapids, Minnesota, are here to help ensure that your heating and cooling system is ready to take on spring. Our experienced cooling specialists have the professional knowhow to help you minimize your utility bills while maximizing your home’s comfort level. We are available 24/7, so please contact or call us at 877-817-0584 today.