Carbon Monoxide in homes is a deceptively dangerous problem. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it. So how do you if you have a Carbon Monoxide problem? You might start feeling nauseous, start getting headaches or just start feeling uncomfortable then blame it on a flu. But Carbon Monoxide is serious business and it can even kill you.
How Carbon Monoxide Is Produced
Carbon Monoxide is produced when gas or oil is burned inside your furnace. New Furnace Replacements are designed to take those fumes up and out the chimney where they can’t hurt anyone if everything is working ok. The problem is that not all furnace systems operate properly.
The Advantage of an Annual Furnace Check By A Pro
A professional Furnace Technician is going to look inside your furnace, check your heat exchanger for cracks and make sure there is adequate ventilation. This is going to keep any Carbon Monoxide from leaking into your home.
How to Know If You Have A Carbon Monoxide Problem
Now between Furnace Tune-ups the only way to know If you have a carbon monoxide problem is having carbon monoxide detectors installed. The National Fire Protection Association recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors outside of each bedroom and each sleeping area. And because carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air it is recommended they are installed right about eye level.
It’s important to have your detectors inspected once a year. If you have any questions about carbon monoxide or you would like a furnace safety check give us a call, we’ll be happy to help you out.